About This Class
This class is part of our specialty class program for this season. Specialty classes are designed to help you take your dancing to the next level with a variety of new dance styles added every season.
New York style is danced in an ellipse or a “flat figure 8” on the floor, with the partners facing each other most of the time. Unlike other styles of salsa, New York style is danced on the second beat of the music (“on 2”), and the follower steps forward on the first measure of the music, not the leader. The etiquette of New York Style is strict about remaining in the close dance space, and avoiding traveling dancing in a sandbox area with a lot of spins, turns and styling.
- Salsa Lovers offers over 50 group classes every week
- Our 55-minute Group Classes give students a chance to learn new dance moves in an environment where you can practice their steps before hitting the dance floor
- We work on a rotation basis which means it is not necessary to have a partner to learn any of the dances because we frequently rotate partners during each class
- Class sizes vary, but the average is 20 to 40 people
- Specialty Classes vary every season